Saturday, January 23, 2021

Weekly Log #1


Given that it's been quite some time since I posted on this blog, I've decided to start a new section of my blog where I post what I've seen over the week and give my brutally honest opinions. This probably won't be a weekly occurrence given I've just started my final semester of college but at least I'll have something to post on this blog to anyone who actually reads it. As always, feel free to post in the comments section!


Wandavision


This series is NOT the Lynchian-esque masterpiece that so many people on Twitter are hyping it up to be, but it's still a pretty damn good show. While Elizabeth Olson and Paul Bettany are stellar, the true star is the filmmaking, which easily adapts to whatever sitcom style an episode is paying homage to. Add in a central mystery and this is a show I'll be looking forward to weekly.


Wonder Woman 1984


I finally saw this film right before it left HBO Max. It's a far cry from the first film's grounded nature and is pretty messy when it comes to certain story elements (don't get me started on Steve Trevor), but it's a decent popcorn entertainment flick that revels in it's '80s cheesiness. Don't go in expecting a near-masterpiece like the first film, though.


Paths of Glory


I got the Criterion DVD edition of this film at my local comic store for $5. Stanley Kubrick employs a lot of tracking shots and camera techniques that really help to immerse yourself in the film's story, which provides a very strong anti-war message that ends on a shockingly bleak note and features great acting from Kirk Douglas.


Bioshock


I finally gave in and switched to Easy difficulty after dying so many fucking times and finished the game in a day. The underwater city of Rapture has the some of the best atmosphere  I've encountered in a game since Half Life 2 and the story asks some excellent questions that are rarely asked in gaming. I'll probably dive back into it to collect the director's commentary provided by Ken Levine and Shawn Robertson.


Deadly Premonition 2


SWERY's sequel to the 2010 survival horror game is as much of a singular piece of art as the first one, filled with lengthy conversations about B-movies and musings on the wonders of pizza. One annoying feature I've encountered so far is the inability to resume a conversation after getting interrupted and the constant having to press through cutscenes but this is still a very entertaining game I can't wait to play more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bigamist (1953)

Despite being categorized as a film noir, Ida Lupino’s 1953 film The Bigamist isn’t as much of a noir as it is a straightforward drama, deta...